With the purpose
• We will survey colonies of honey bees within the South West Peninsula, including possible feral colonies, to ascertain the distribution and quality of the Apis mellifera mellifera (Amm) population.
• We want to involve a wide a population of beekeepers in Cornwall in the conservation of the Cornish Amm population.
• The improved breeding stock of Cornish Amm will provide a good starting point for research involving disease resistance. It is much easier to improve bee stock with a pure strain than a hybridized one. Disease resistance is known in the Cornish Dark Bee population particularly Varroa tolerance.
The Way Forward
• Working from Cornwall
• Reduce the reliance on imported bees
• Greatly reduce the importation of bees at Governmental level
• Collaboration with Land Owners /Eden/Paignton/Heligan