We have brought together under the umbrella of Community Interest Company the main groups of bee keepers who have an interest in conserving the Cornish population of Apis mellifera mellifera or AMM.
The admirable qualities of Apis Mellifera Mellifera :-
• significant winter hardiness
• low tendency to swarm
• defensive against invaders such as wasps
• careful, measured “maritime” brood cycle
• strong drive to collect pollen
• high longevity of the worker bees and queen
• excellent flight strength even in cold weather
• possible hardiness against varroa
Assessing the genetic diversity of distinct honey bee populations
This project aims to establish the genetic diversity of the British Black Bee (Apis mellifera mellifera) both in the UK and Cornwall as a whole. Working in collaboration with the B4 project it will use a combination of both wing morphometric analyses and genetic markers to provide a statistical framework to distinguish between Apis mellifera mellifera and non-native honey bee races.
B4 contributed to BBC hive live at http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/28290890
Duchy Supports Project to Save Cornish Black Honey Bees